Friday, January 14, 2011

End of Week One & Sweet Raw Beet Salad

One week down on the diet, and I am feeling so great I can't even tell you! My head doesn't get foggy in the afternoon anymore, I've dropped a few pounds already, and my mood has greatly improved. I guess that's an argument for me to maintain eating tons of veggies on a regular basis as I am now, and cutting out all the sugar. I am going to add in some salmon tonight as I have my long run tomorrow and I want to make sure I have plenty of energy to get me through - can't wait...

Anyway, I made this salad last night after receiving some beets and carrots in my produce box, and I love it! You can't really tell much detail from the photo below - I was so excited after tasting it that I didn't want to waste time looking for my camera, so I took a picture with my phone instead ;)



The combo of beets, carrots, apples, and fennel is so yummy with the fresh ginger and garlic in the salad dressing (I am in love with the Green Apple Salad Dressing from Ali's blog Nourishing Meals!) If you don't have fennel, you could substitute with celery or sweet onions or celery root, or leave it out entirely. If you've never tried fennel, it's a wonderful veggie with a hint of licorice - I love it raw, so give it a try!

Sweet Raw Beet Salad
serves 4 as a side, or 2 as a main dish

Grate the following veggies (I used my food processor - much faster that way!):
1 beet (any type will do)
2 carrots
1 apple (I used Granny Smith)
1 fennel bulb

Mix together, then add the following:
1 inch chunk of ginger, finely grated
dash of sea salt or herbamare

Mix together again, and you are good to go!

To serve, top with Green Apple Salad Dressing and sunflower seeds. I also add a dash of cayenne because I like things spicy. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. That salad looks really good. I normally wouldn't be attracted to such a simple salad, but I'm on day 21 of a a detox diet, and it just sounds scrumptious! You think you feel great now. Just wait til next week. I'm loving these pure foods!

    ReplyDelete